We, the undersigned, call for your immediate resignation in light of your public support for and participation in the white supremacist insurrection on the Capitol.
In your oath of office, you swore to be true and faithful to the people of Rhode Island and to uphold the United States Constitution to the best of your ability. Yet according to your own (since deleted) Tweets, you marched to the Capitol with white supremacists you called “patriots.”
By supporting an attempt to thwart one of our democracy’s most vital traditions — the peaceful transfer of power — you failed to uphold the Constitution. And by propagating racist and unfounded conspiracy theories that Antifa and the Black Lives Matter movement perpetrated violence during the uprising in which you participated, you lied to the people of Rhode Island and abused the platform your constituents have given you. Your seditious acts show that you are incapable of upholding your oath, of promoting the rule of law, and of meeting the high standards of elected office.
You further demonstrated your lack of judgment and flagrant disregard for Rhode Islanders’ safety when you refused to wear a mask at the State House. By refusing to follow basic health protocols, you recklessly undermined our state’s pandemic response efforts.
It is unacceptable for an elected official to defend a violent mob calling for antisemitic and anti Black violence, demanding the overthrow of a democratic election result, and waving the Confederate flag through the Capitol, as “patriots.” And it is unacceptable that you further embolden and normalize the spread of disinformation and anti-democratic fervor by continuing to walk the halls of the Rhode Island State House. Greater accountability is required from our elected officials than simply deleting incriminating Tweets. For the good of our democracy and the state of Rhode Island, we demand that you resign.
Can you help Uprise RI?
Funding for our reporting relies on the generosity of readers like you. Our independence allows us to write stories that hold RI state and local government officials accountable. All of our stories are free and available to everyone. But your support is essential to keeping Steve and Will on the beat, covering the costs of reporting many stories in a single day. If you are able to, please support Uprise RI. Every contribution, big or small is so valuable to us. You provide the motivation and financial support to keep doing what we do. Thank you.
- The College Democrats of Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Democratic Women’s Caucus
- Representative Karen Alzate (D-Pawtucket)
- Representative David Morales (D-Providence)
- Representative Leonela Felix (D-Pawtucket)
- Representative Brianna Henries (D-East Providence)
- Rep. Brandon Potter (D-Cranston)
- Rep. Michelle McGaw (D-Portsmouth, Tiverton, Little Compton)
- Rep. John J. Lombardi (D-Providence)
- Sen. Sam Bell (D-Providence)
- Sen. Sandra Cano (D-Pawtucket)
- Sen. Kendra Anderson (D-Cranston, Warwick)
- Sen. Jonathon Acosta (D-Central Falls, Pawtucket)
- Sen. Tiara Mack (D-Providence)
- Sen. Cynthia Mendes (D-East Providence, Pawtucket)
- Councilor Katherine Kerwin (D-Providence)
- Councilor David Salvatore (D-Providence)
- Councilor Nirva LaFortune (D-Providence)
- Councilor Rachel Miller (D-Providence)
- Councilor Pedro Espinal (D-Providence)
- Councilor John Goncalves (D-Providence)
- Councilor Helen Anthony (D-Providence)
- Councilor John Donegan (D-Cranston)
- Councilor Lammis J. Vargas (D-Cranston)
- Councilor Aniece Germain (D-Cranston)
- Councilor Jessica Marino (D-Cranston)
- Councilor Linda Ujifusa (D-Portsmouth)
- Councilor J. Mark Ryan, MD (D-Portsmouth)
- Richmond Town Democratic Committee Chair B. Joe Reddish, III
- One Gun Gone
- Providence DSA
- Sunrise Rhode Island
- The Young Democrats of Rhode Island
- Southwestern RI Progressive Alliance
Additional Rhode Island organizations and elected officials can sign on at bit.ly/PriceOpenLetter.