LGBTQ+ advocates condemn dangerous “pedophile” comment made by State Rep QuattrocchiThere is no place for such ugly ignorance in Rhode Island…
Published on March 21, 2023
The following is a press release and not an Uprise RI-written news story.
“As advocates working to support LGBTQ+ youth and adults in Rhode Island, we are greatly alarmed by a comment made by Rhode Island Representative Quattrocchi at last week’s hearing of the House Committee on State Government & Elections, in which he asked Representative Kislak, one of two openly LGBTQ+ representatives in Rhode Island, if she is a “pedophile.”
“The resurrection of such dangerous rhetoric based in bias and disinformation is part of what is fueling the flames of increased harassment and violence and a sweeping campaign of legislative attacks targeting LGBTQ+ people – primarily young people – across the country. There is no place for such ugly ignorance in Rhode Island. Committee Chairs have a responsibility to ensure that legislative debate does not devolve into hateful rhetoric.
“Rhode Island has been a leader in recognizing and protecting equality for the LGBTQ+ community. The people of this state are proud of that legacy. Our representatives should be working to ensure safety, dignity, and equity for all residents, not perpetuating dangerous, false comparisons that undermine the humanity of LGBTQ+ people.”
- Janson Wu, Executive Director, GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders
- Bella Robinson, COYOTE RI
- Rush Frazier, Executive Director, Youth Pride, Inc.
- Thundermist Health Center
- Jodi l Glass, Au.D., Doctor of Audiology; Community Advocate
- Ruth E Horton, M.Ed.
- Alicia Gauvin, Executive Director, SHIP
- LGBTQ Action RI
- Ryan Vigneau, Chief of Staff, RI Queer PAC
- Catherine M. Gorman, Board Chair, Pride in Aging RI
- Colleen Daley Ndoye, Executive Director, Project Weber/RENEW
- Monique P Paul, VP, President Pro Temp, TGI Network of RI Inc
- Gretchen Raffa, Vice President Public Policy, Advocacy and Organizing, Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode Island
- The Womxn Project & The Womxn Project Education Fund
- Julio E. Berroa, Haus of Codec
More Recent Press Releases
Uprise RI is 100% supported by donors
Most Popular Now
- Attorney General files lawsuit against notorious Rhode Island slumlord
- Unseasonal cold did not deter Woonsocket’s 3rd Annual Pride celebration
- The numbers are in and it’s official: Homelessness is rising – fast
- One of Rhode Island’s top ‘slumlords’ receives a Sunday morning wake up ...
- One of Rhode Island’s worst landlords gets a Sunday wake up call