From the Mailbag of

Logo of The Helping Hand with handshake graphic.

I broke my toilet and my landlord wants me to pay.

The following is an actual conversation between an Uprise RI user and our Helping Hand chat assistant. The most helpful conversations, as determined by our editors, will be showcased on our homepage, with personally identifying details removed when applicable.

Posted April 13, 2024

User: I broke my toilet and my landlord wants me to pay

The Helping Hand: If you caused damage to your toilet, it is typically your responsibility as the tenant to cover the cost of repair. In Rhode Island, tenants are generally expected to pay for damages that they or their guests cause to the rental unit. You should communicate with your landlord to arrange the repair and payment. It might be beneficial to discuss the situation and agree upon a repair service and the associated costs. Would you like guidance on finding a reputable repair service or do you need assistance on how to negotiate this with your landlord?

User: [Exited]

The Helping Hand is a free service provided by Uprise RI for Rhode Islanders. It uses state-of-the-art artificial intelligence technology and vast training on RI landlord/tenant law and consumer protection to provide helpful tips and resources specific to the user's needs, at no charge. Help support The Helping Hand with a donation of any kind.