Update: Assistant Principal Tom Bacon has resigned.
“As of this morning, Mr. Bacon has resigned from his position with the Providence Public School Department effective immediately. While the Providence Police will continue their investigation, we will continue to meet with students, teachers and community members and take proactive steps to support our entire school community,” said Mayor Jorge Elorza and school Superintendent Chris Maher said in a joint statement.
The Providence Student Union (PSU) has issued a statement demanding regarding a video that shows Assistant Principal Tom Bacon in an altercation with a student at Central High School in Providence. In the statement PSU calls “for the removal of Assistant Principal Tom Bacon from the Providence Public Schools” adding that, “violence against students has no place in any school.”
You can read earlier reporting on the incident here:
You can read the full statement here:
To the People of Providence:
- We demand Central High School administrators release a public apology which includes:
- Recognition of harm done to the student and to the school community
- Recognition of the validity of the Providence Student Bill of Rights, and of the fact that every student deserves to feel safe on school campus
- Specific steps for how Central High School will prevent similar incidents from happening in the future, while also respecting students’ rights
- We demand that PPSD take specific steps to ensure that violence against students never happens in Providence Schools. Steps should include:
- Training for faculty, specifically the Undoing Racism trainings offered by the City of Providence
- Informing students and staff of students’ rights, including those in the Code of Conduct and in the SBOR