CVS funded anti-abortion Texas legislators – The Womxn Project calls for boycottTell them, “I live in your community. I am calling to say I won’t be spending any money at your store until CVS Health makes a public commitment to stop donating money to anti-women’s health, anti-justice politicians.”
Published on September 10, 2021
By Steve Ahlquist
The Womxn Project launched a campaign today to push for corporate accountability, demanding that CVS Health make a public commitment to stop giving money to any lawmaker using their power to undermine access to abortion and put up barriers to reproductive healthcare.
CVS Health is headquartered here in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. The company has donated $72,500 to the sponsors of SB 8 since 2018. The anti-abortion bill these legislators passed prevents abortion access as early as six weeks in pregnancy and threatens people with a lawsuit if they help someone get care.
“Rhode Island voters have made it clear that we believe abortion is healthcare,” said Jocelyn Foye, Director of The Womxn Project. “We do not need or want and nor will we accept corporations in our community funneling money to legislation that tries to undermine our bodily autonomy and criminalize abortion care. Senate Bill 8 is out of step with our values. We won’t stand by as the people who pushed this horrific bill get money from big business in our own backyard to keep up their anti-women, anti-justice agenda.”
The Womxn Project is asking supporters of abortion rights to take the following actions:
- Head to a local CVS with a handwritten sign (store locator).
- Take a picture and share it on social media using #ReproReceipts and #CVSNotSoGood.
- Sample Post: @CVSHealth CEO @KarenSLynch: #WhatsUpWithCVS and funding #SB8 sponsors? Stop giving $ to politicians undermining women’s health & pushing anti-justice agendas! No more!
- Call your local CVS.
- Tell them, “I live in your community. I am calling to say I won’t be spending any money at your store until CVS Health makes a public commitment to stop donating money to anti-women’s health, anti-justice politicians.”
- It will only take a moment and might even be awkward because they aren’t expecting it. That’s kind of the point. Let’s put the pressure on … and, let us know how it goes!
- Add your name to our petition demanding that CVS Health make a public statement to halt donations to anti-justice lawmakers and share it with friends, family and neighbors! MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD!
CVS Health has been downplaying the issue and claiming to support women’s health. The company told the news media site Popular Information that, “Past political contributions are by no means a blanket endorsement of an individual’s position on every issue, nor are they an indication of where we’ll direct our future support.”
You can dive deeper into CVS’s campaign contributions here.
“You don’t get to talk about working to ‘support the unique health needs of women at every age’ and then contribute to politicians who take away care that one in four women will use during their lifetime,” writes The Womxn Project.
The Womxn Project notes that in May, CVS Health launched an initiative around women’s health where they talked about “celebrating women and moms,” but further note that “research has shown that 2/3 of abortion patients are already parents, so supporting a ban on abortion causes harm to moms.
“CVS should not give money to politicians who take away access to healthcare and interfere with decisions around reproductive health. Until they halt this harmful practice, they shouldn’t get our money! We are not going to be silent as a big company right here in our backyard is doing real harm! No more.”
Did you enjoy this article?
More Health Care Coverage
Most Popular Now
- Providence destroys homeless encampment – and people’s lives
- Sayles St families report ongoing police harassment
- CVS funded anti-abortion Texas legislators – The Womxn Project calls for boycott
- Rhode Island begins the process of redistricting
- Governor McKee’s Overdose Taskforce walks out over budget cuts