From the Mailbag of

Logo of The Helping Hand with handshake graphic.

When can I withhold rent?

The following is an actual conversation between an Uprise RI user and our Helping Hand chat assistant. The most helpful conversations, as determined by our editors, will be showcased on our homepage, with personally identifying details removed when applicable.

Posted March 22, 2024

User: When can I withhold rent?

The Helping Hand: In Rhode Island, you may withhold rent under certain conditions, such as when a landlord fails to address essential repairs that affect health and safety. Before withholding rent, you must notify the landlord in writing of the issue and give them a reasonable time to fix it. If the problem isn’t resolved, you can put the rent money into an escrow account to show that you’re willing to pay once the repairs are made. Keep in mind that this action should be taken with caution and it’s recommended to seek legal advice before doing so.

The Helping Hand is a free service provided by Uprise RI for Rhode Islanders. It uses state-of-the-art artificial intelligence technology and vast training on RI landlord/tenant law and consumer protection to provide helpful tips and resources specific to the user's needs, at no charge. Help support The Helping Hand with a donation of any kind.