“I believe that this type of industry would only serve to harm our residents, and create more air and water pollution,” said Councilperson Pedro Espinal. “There is no viable place for such facilities in a City as densely populated as Providence, and by removing this from our Zoning Code we can ensure the health and safety of our residents.”
At Thursday evening’s Providence City Council meeting Councilmember Pedro Espinal (Ward 10) along with his colleagues, Councilmembers Helen Anthony (Ward 2), and Rachel Miller (Ward 13) introduced an amendment to the City’s Zoning Ordinance that would eliminate incinerator or waste facilities from being able to open in the City of Providence.
The legislation was sent to the Ordinance Committee to review:
“As a City Councilor it is not my intention to stand in the way of bringing new businesses to our City,” stated Espinal in a statement. “That said, earlier this year a developer wanted to open a solid waste facility in the area around the Port of Providence that would have potentially caused serious consequences for the environment and the well-being of my constituents. I believe that this type of industry would only serve to harm our residents, and create more air and water pollution. There is no viable place for such facilities in a City as densely populated as Providence, and by removing this from our Zoning Code we can ensure the health and safety of our residents.”
For more on the successful community battle against the proposed garbage transfer station in South Providence, see:
- New Facility Would Increase Allens Avenue Pollution by Tim Faulkner at ecoRI
- The Washington Park community wonders: How can we prevent a new business from further destroying our children’s health?
- Providence City Plan Commission silences the public on Port garbage project
- Proposed Garbage Depot Is a Bad Idea for Providence by Kevin Budris at CLF
- Opposition to the proposed Port garbage transfer station intensifies
- Door knocking against the proposed garbage transfer station in Providence
- Mayor Elorza comes out against proposed Port garbage transfer station
- Transfer station developer requests 60-day extension
- Proposed Port garbage transfer station is dead
In addition to the incinerator ban, Councilmembers Espinal, Anthony, Miller and David Salvatore (Ward 14) introduced a resolution calling on the Providence Planning Department and the City Plan Commission to expand their distribution of written notices to abutting property owners and residents from 200 feet to at least 1,000 feet for any major land development projects.
“We know that any major land development can have far reaching effects on residents further than the current 200 feet rule,” continued Espinal. “By expanding this to at least 1,000 feet, more residents will be able to be notified and take part in the robust discussion that happens around these developments.”
Can we please ask a favor?
Funding for our reporting relies entirely on the generosity of readers like you. Our independence is how we are able to write stories that hold RI state and local government officials accountable. All of our stories are free and available to everyone right here at UpriseRI.com. But your support is essential to keeping Steve on the beat, covering the costs of reporting many stories in a single day. If you are able to, please support Uprise RI. Every contribution, big or small is so valuable to us. You provide the motivation and financial support to keep doing what we do. Thank you.
Major land developments in the City of Providence undergo an extensive review process, which includes multiple public hearings prior to any approval by the City Plan Commission. Extending the distance for property owner notification for such projects would help to create more community engagement and ensure that more residents are notified about projects being planned in their neighborhoods.